Many software vendors and consultants believe Excel is the boogeyman. They either don’t use it to its full potential or eliminate it.
We feel that Excel has had and should continue to have a critical place within a business toolset. Excel is more than just a productivity tool; it serves as a common data language across the enterprise. Choose the metaphor you like: Excel is the Swiss army knife or the jack-of-all-trades of the business world. We have successfully deployed Excel at our clients in each of the following areas:
- Conduct a deep dive root cause analysis with a quick turnaround
- Prototype data storage, transform, and load processes
- Model presentation layer through visualizations and dashboards
- Serve as master data source for small, non-enterprise solutions with a clear data source
- Analyze master data complexity and accuracy
Some limitations, such as limited data volume, human error, and lack of security, may drive businesses away from using Excel for specific functions. However, the easy-to-learn tool enables users to find the answers they need, support operations, and allow precious IT resources to spend time on other opportunities.